Visiting Berlin for ITB? Great! Willing to discover a bit the city everyone is talking about? Well, then you might need some help! The Messe Gelände, where the show takes place, is perfect to host such a huge event, but it happens to be far away from the main Berlin attractions. At least the ones appearing in all guides.
So here we prepared one for you with other local recommendations that you will find easier to reach with the Underground line U2 and our beloved Righbahn (Circular Lines) S41 and S42. Our 10 Berlin highlights close to ITB Berlin are:
1. Teufelsberg or the Devil's Hill: taking the S5 direction Spandau and from Heerstraße Sbahn, you can go uphill to the Teufelsberg. Not only one of the highest points in a very flat city, but also a great view to the Berlin skyline.
2. Schloß Charlottenburg or Charlottenburg Castle: not only impressive for its Baroque architecture but also for the French style garden in the backside. Get lost in it until you find the pond, or hop on the Spree boat cruises to see the whole city from the river perspective. You can stop at Sophie-Charlotte-Platz, Richard-Wagner-Platz or Westend and take a 10 minutes walk, definitely a must!
3. Winterfeldtplatz market: happening every Wednesday and Saturday. A farmer's market full of fresh vegetables and farm products, surrounded with the best cafés in Schöneberg. This Berlin Dolce Vita hotspot is 15 minutes ride taking the U2 line until Nollendorfplatz.
4. Einstein Café Stammhaus: don’t expect a fast coffee to take away! Einstein chain started really fancy and you should have a look at it and taste their famous espresso. In a sunny day, their garden in the backyard is just paradise. 5 minutes walk from U2 Nollendorfplatz will take you there.
5. Museum for Photography – Helmut Newton Foundation: the mecca for photography lovers. Taking the U2 or S5 line to Zoologischer Garten and exiting to Jebenstraße, you will see the building hosting the permanent exhibition dedicated to Helmut Newton. Every 3 months the temporary exhibition changes and it is always mind-blowing.
6. The Berlin Zoo: exit Zoologischer Garten from the other side to find it! Famous for its Aquarium and for the moving story of Knut, it is almost 100 years old. Thanks to its location inside of the Tiergarten, the Zoo is peaceful and fun for everyone.
7. KaDeWe, Kaufhaus des Westens or the Shopping House of the West: hop off in Wittenbergplatz U2 and go straight to the 6th floor of the most amazing department store in the West. You will find all kind of delicatessen from anywhere, as ingredients to take home and also in the small bars where to get a delicious snack. And on your way out, walk back to Messe all way Ku’Damm long!
8. Deutsche Technikmuseum, 15 minutes ride away with U2 again, changing to U1 in Nollendorfplatz until Möckernbrücke. It will make your jaw drop for its entry price and its collection, you will be traveling in time to the 19th century for 6€! Trains, airplanes, cars, ships and all time technology for adults and kids!
9. Plötzensee. Sometimes Berlin gets sunny and then it is time for a lake. Taking the Ringbahn until Beusselstraße and walking 5 minutes you will find the small but cozy Plötzensee, where you can at least have a strall.
10. Tiergarten. Take the s5 direction east and stop at Tiergarten, exit the station and follow the green. Getting lost in the second most biggest park in Europe is one of the favourite activities of every Berliner, so blend in!